mauldinphotography.com

Sunday, February 1, 2009

2009 Ice Storm

I wanted to share some photographs of the ice storm we had last week. After pouring freezing rain all night on Tuesday, the impact of this ice storm has been massive to our part of the state. North and northwest of Newport the destruction is actually much worse. Our neighborhood lost electricity around 4pm on Tuesday. I think I understood the magnitude to my community around 6pm when I drove through town and it was a complete blackout. It was very eery. It took me two hours on Wednesday morning to clear my driveway of tree limbs in order to get the car out. This is the scene we awoke to on Wednesday:



My yard and trees literally looked like a tornado had came through. I have never seen so many tree limbs and sticks in one place. You cannot imagine what it sounded like when these huge limbs would break off and hit the house. Amid all the transformers blowing up - it sounded like a war zone! These pics are from my own yard:



Max was loving the ice and snow, crazy dog. I think she was just happy to have all the sticks to chew on.

And, this would be the site of the hole in my roof that we discovered yesterday when the ice finally started melting!

And proof that there really is beauty in everything - the art and beauty of the sunrise through the icy tree limbs:



Luckily, aside from a hopefully small hole in my roof, we escaped this storm fairly unscathed. It definitely sounded much worse than it actually was. I know there are lots of people still without electricity and some who have lost much more. So, our thoughts and prayers are with you. - Cheryl

No comments: