mauldinphotography.com

Friday, August 1, 2008

Infant Bereavement and Remembrance Photography


Each year nearly 3.3 million babies are stillborn, and more than 4 million others die within 28 days of coming into the world. With advanced medical technology, it is a parent's expectation that those born to us will out-live us. When a baby dies, it is outside the natural order of life and families are left devastated and forever changed.

Remembrance Photography is a very important step in the healing process. Photographs are one of the most precious and tangible mementos that a parent can have, showing the love and bond that was given and shared with their baby. These portraits will last for generations, and will honor and remember a tiny life that is forever loved and cherished.

People tell me all the time, "I don't know how you do it!" That's the common response when I talk about shooting an infant bereavement session. Honestly when I first considered offering the service, I thought with my background as a registered nurse and experience in OB, that it would give me some kind of edge. The reality is that except for the understanding of the medical terminology, it really doesn't help at all. The is no experience comparable to being let into a family's private grieving over the loss of a baby. There is no experience I can draw on that makes me immune to the emotions and sense of loss that always touches the human side of me.

On the other hand, there is no other service that I offer that is more rewarding. Knowing that I can provide lasting memories of a child that parents will only hold for a few moments is one of the greatest rewards.

I became affiliated with the Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep organization in March, but have offered these sessions independently for about two years. Each session is unique and no less emotional than the last. It's not something that just gets easier with time, because that's the human side of what I do. I can photograph sessions in the hospital after birth, in a hospice, or in the home for terminally ill infants and children. This service is at no cost to the family, and they receive a set of retouched digital negatives from the session.

Every family tells me the portraits become one of their greatest treasures. Some families cannot immediately view the slide show or photographs, and some want to see them as soon as possible. We all heal in different ways, and that's okay. Remembrance photography is just one way to hold onto the memory of a child that left an imprint on their heart.

I currently serve the following counties in Arkansas: Jackson, White, Independence, Lawrence, and Craighead. All it takes is a telephone call to get me to your hospital room, provided that I am not already committed to another client at that time. I book sessions through both my studio number and referrals from the Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep organization.

If you are a family coping and trying to heal after the loss of a child, or a photographer looking for one of the most rewarding causes to get involved in, visit the NILMDTS website. - Cheryl

"Cheryl ,you took pictures of my son and daughter-in-laws baby that was stillborn a couple of weeks ago and I want to let you know how much we appreciate you kindness. Every time I watch the video I cry. It is so beautiful and so nice to have these wonderful pictures to remember him by. Again thank you so much for your kindness, Love, Landyn's family"

3 comments:

Sam's World said...

Thank you Cheryl,

The work you do is priceless.

With warm regard,
Sandy Puc'
Co-Founder NILMDTS

Mauldin Photography said...

You inspired me to get involved the year I heard you speak at Chicks Who Click. Thanks for all you do! - Cheryl

A Journey Well Taken: Life After Loss said...

Although I am a widow, reading about your work for families who have lost their children brought tears to my eyes. I would like to mention your blog and services on my grief blog, a journey well taken. Elaine